Field classes are an essential and stimulating component of our Geography programs at UoM. Many of our subjects include short field trips, but we are most proud of our longer intensive field classes in China, East Timor, Aotearoa-New Zealand, Tasmania, Arnhem Land, Western Victoria and Melbourne.
These field classes provide our students with the opportunity to develop their geographical knowledge and to understand and analyse real world contexts. Our students develop strong cross-cultural skills and an awareness of diverse environments.
As capstone subjects, these field classes train our students in independent and group research methods in both human and physical geography.
For students travelling on fieldclass trips or day excursions:
Student Travel Insurance
MUST BE COMPLETED FOR OVERSEAS FIELD TRIPS INCLUDING NEW ZEALAND
Access insurance information, useful links, and registration here.
- All Students are encouraged to register their proposed Travel – at least seven (7) University Business Days – prior to their Departure Date. Any application registered by a Student outside University Business Hours (eg: Saturday, or Sunday) – will not deliver to the applicable approver until the next University Business Day (eg: Monday).
- If an Application is not fully processed before the registered Departure Date – the automated Online System will “expire” it. This is due to the fact that the University has no authority (from the Travel Insurer) to issue Travel Insurance for a “journey” on, or after, the actual Departure Date. If a Student’s Application is expired by the system they automatically receive asystem generated email.
- All students are to direct their registration to Faculty of Science > School of Geography
- All students should select the Course Coordinator as their nominated “Initial Staff Approver”
– East Timor Field Class: Dr Lisa Palmer (GEOG30007/GEOG90007)
– New Zealand Field Class: Prof Russell Drysdale (GEOG30023/GEOG90026)
– China Field Class: Prof Mark Wang (GEOG30007/GEOG90007)
- The Itinerary Table – must record the approved UoM “Business/ Course related” Travel Dates (up to a maximum of 14 days) and all other (Incidental) Personal Travel Days occurring Before, During or After the prescribed UoM “Business/ Course related” Travel Dates
Emergency Contact & Medical Form
MUST BE COMPLETED BY EACH STUDENT ATTENDING ANY FIELDCLASS TRIP OR DAY EXCURSION
Each student attending any field class trip much complete this form and click submit.
Please enter this password 7d57b079c2 to access the form.
|Subjects with Day Excursion|
|GEOG30027 Local Sites Global Connections|
|GEOG20001 Society and Environments|